If you follow me on Snapchat, you saw how insanely unorganized my makeup collection was. I embarrassingly admit that I have a TON of cosmetic products, and I was forced to organize it all. I embarked on a super simple DIY project this week to get my products sorted.
For storage containers, I went to Target and purchased 3 of these 3-drawer plastic bins; these are medium-sized and cost about $9.00 a piece. They also have larger containers for about $13 and smaller containers for about $5.
I wanted to add some color to my bins, so I went to my local home improvement store and purchased a couple of cans of spray paint.
I opted for this Tiffany blue color, but they had tons and tons to choose from! Tip: If you’re thinking about painting something, you want to make sure that it has paint and primer in one, so that you don’t have to bother with buying 2 separate products for the task.
When I got home, I took the plastic drawers out of all of the bins and set them aside. They slide into and out of place very easily.
In a well-ventilated area, I set each of the 3 bins on newspaper and began spray painting. Be careful not to inhale any of the fumes.
I did one coat on each of the bins, then went back and did a second coat. The entire process required a little over 1 1/2 cans of spray paint. I left the bins outside for about an hour to dry.
And here’s the finished product! After they dried, I placed the plastic bins back into their places, stacked the bins, and filled my drawers with the makeup.
I divided all of my products into 6 categories (from top to bottom):
- Drawer 1: Tools/Applicators – This is where I keep my beauty blenders/sponges, makeup remover wipes, pencil sharpeners, tweezers, spoolies, lighters, etc
- Drawer 2: Concealer/Foundation – In addition to my concealers and foundations, I keep my facial primers, eye primers, and lip primers/exfoliators in this drawer.
- Drawers 3-5: Eyes/Brows – I keep all of my eyeshadow palettes, single eyeshadows, Z-palettes, eyeliners, lip liners, mascaras, and brow products in these 3 drawers.
- Drawer 6: Highlight/Contour – I keep all of my contour/bronzing products, highlighters, and blushes in this drawer.
- Drawers 7-8: Lips – All of my lipsticks, liquid lipsticks, and lip glosses go into these 2 drawers.
- Drawer 9: Setting Sprays/Powders – All of my setting sprayers, setting powder/translucent powders belong in this drawer.
If you’re looking for an inexpensive way to organize your beauty products, give this a try!